Requirements and Specifications
- This measure applies to retrofits only.
- This measure is available for the commercial, industrial and agricultural sectors.
The new VRF system is installed in a building with the following characteristics:
- An existing building that has either been 1) occupied for at least one year and didn’t change building use type, or 2) it is an existing building with electricity use data available for the previous year;
- 100,000 square feet or less of conditioned floor area; and
- The area conditioned by the new VRF system needs to have been heated previously by either zonal or forced-air, electric-resistance heat as the primary heating source. Buildings heated by air source heat pumps or gas are not eligible.
VRF systems installed must meet the following requirements:
- A split-system heat pump employing an inverter-driven outdoor compressor;
- Inverter-driven or variable-speed indoor blowers; and
- Meet BPA Tier 1 or Tier 2 efficiency requirements per the BPA Variable Refrigerant Flow Specification.
Qualifying installations will receive an incentive of $800.00 per ton, up to 50% of total project cost.