Metered temporary electric service consists of a one-time $160.00 connection fee + actual usage, billed monthly.

  • Contact the Construction Services department to initiate a work request by email or by phone
  • The customer’s electrical contractor or general contractor pulls the temporary electric service permit from the jurisdiction with authority (Washington Department of Labor and Industries or the City of Vancouver)
  • An electrical or general contractor can construct and install the metered temporary service per the NEC and WAC 296-46B-901
    • Consult the attached installation diagram for approved temporary service installation locations
    • Stake the location and call for locates, ‘811’, at least two business days before any digging
    • Prepare a trench to the source equipment, dug out completely, exposing the base of the secondary pedestal or transformer pad to a depth of 18 inches

NOTE: Per the NEC, metered temporary services for residential building require a warning ribbon in the trench with the conductor

  • Install the post and supports, temporary service meter base and ground rod as required by the NEC
  • Place this equipment no closer than 5 feet (up to 100’ away) from the transformer or secondary pedestal
  • Leave a tail of wire that extends 7 feet past the source equipment it will be connected to (or length noted on job design print)
  • Contact the applicable jurisdiction (WA LNI or COV) to request an electrical inspection:

Washington State Department of Labor and Industries:

    • Obtain an electrical Permit                 (360) 896-2300
    • Questions about a permit or code     (360) 896-2360
    • Request an electrical inspection        (360) 896-2350
    • Purchase Permits & Request Inspections (

City of Vancouver:

  • Once temporary service approval is complete, backfill the trench, leaving the last 3 feet to the source open, allowing connection of the service
  • Clark Public Utilities will connect the service and set the meter within 5 business days of receipt of the temporary service approval
  • Once connected, backfill the trench completely

NOTE: When the temporary service is no longer needed, contact Construction Services to request disconnection of the temporary service and stop the billing. The contractor owned equipment can then be removed from the site

If you have questions:

  • For questions about design or metered temporary placement requirements:
    • Contact your Utility Residential Planner
  • For NEC requirements and acceptable equipment questions, contact the applicable jurisdiction
    • Washington Department of Labor and Industries
    • City of Vancouver Electrical Department