Clark Public Utilities was formed by a vote of the people in 1938. The utility began serving AIRCO, its first electric customer, in 1942. The next area to be served by the small utility was a project for the Vancouver Housing Authority on McLoughlin Heights.
The utility acquired facilities owned by Portland General Electric in 1946 and bought out Northwestern Electric (now Pacific Power & Light) in 1948. With those moves the service area for the electric utility became all of Clark County.
We entered the water business in 1951 when a few hundred customers in the Hazel Dell area asked us to take over and operate their private water system. The system grew as Hazel Dell and areas north of it became more populated. The water utility now also provides water to a city, a town, numerous rural centers and satellite facilities and is one of the ten largest water utilities in the state.