Formally known as Public Utility District No. 1 of Clark County, Clark Public Utilities was formed by a vote of the people in 1938. It is a not-for-profit municipal corporation organized under the laws of the state of Washington.
On August 21, 1942, the electric utility began serving its first customer, Air Reduction Company (AIRCO), selling it power purchased from the Bonneville Power Administration.
Two other electric systems served Clark County until purchased by Clark Public Utilities. We acquired facilities owned by Portland General Electric in 1946 and by Northwestern Electric (now Pacific Power & Light) in 1948.
We entered the water business in 1951 when 347 customers in the Hazel Dell area asked us to take over and operate their private water system.
Our wastewater system was authorized by a vote of La Center citizens in 1989. The generating system was added in 1997. On August 1, 2006, we transferred ownership of the wastewater system back to the City of La Center.